Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's so wrong with a routine???


Well there wasn't very much going on here today. Alan slept in past 8 (woo hoo) which rarely happens these days. I really appreciated it since I went to bed feeling kinda crappy and woke up when BJ got up for work this morning. But I have a feeling it really messed up his daily routine. That or he was just messing with my head. See, Alan is a one-nap-a-day kinda kid, and for the last few weeks that nap has been just after lunch. I like this routine. It allows me to have a couple of hours to eat my lunch, tidy up the disaster zone he was playing in, and maybe read a chapter of my book or catch up on some blogs/facebook news. Not to mention that he really does NEED the nap. If he doesn't nap, my adorable, funny, well-behaved child turns into this cranky, whiny hellian who either wants to be attached to my leg or throwing hard things at other things that should not have stuff thrown at them. Like the CAT! At any rate, he would not nap today. Instead, he stood up in his crib screaming like I was torturing the poor child. I can only handle this for so long. I tried the usual techniques - rocking, letting him up for a few minutes, soothing talk, begging, pleading. Nada. Ah well. I think, in all honesty, it's me that needs the routine more than he does. As soon as Daddy got home, he was all smiles and fun again (I'm trying to write that without bitterness....not sure if I succeeded). Ah well. I don't know what's so wrong with a routine, but I can tell you one thing. It's a good thing he's cute.

1 comment:

Rob, Tina and the boys said...

I say that to Joey all the time. "it's a good thing you are cute". Joey is back to taking a nap in the afternoons. It's bliss.